Tuesday 4 November 2014

Two weeks ago, it was time to go to Como again, to get the autum/winter collection ready with more autumnal and winter colours, textures and weaves. 

I was welcomed in the region of Como by two very kind persons, Alessandra and Francesco.
Francesco had planned a visit of the Taroni silk mill, one of the oldest producers of silk. The visit started by meeting Michele Canepa, the owner of the company, who kindly received us.






Taroni mostly works with high end designers, such as Lanvin, Armani Couture and the long list could continue. What makes them different is that they still use some of the machinery they were using more than a hundred years ago. Michele emphasizes the fact that Italian silk production was a national heritage and savoir faire that the Italians had mastered over the decades.

After showing us fabrics they produced,  I can tell you that I still remember the drape of the satins, the lightness of the crepe and the unique softness of the duchesse, this was a work of art.
We then started walking through the production process, from getting the thread ready, to the weaving, until the very end, quality control. It is rather hard to imagine how someone could create the machinery used to weave silk, and that from meters and meter of utterly thin thread, they end up creating such beautiful pieces.









Surprisingly enough, Michele is the brother of the owner of my supplier, and he told me that even then I could not find fabric made for neckties in Taroni, that I should keep working with my usual supplier. I take his words for it.

It was time to head to my appointment with my main supplier, a few kilometers away. While driving in the heart of the region of Lake Como, I could only admire the scenery that was offered to me: blue skies, the greenest trees, warm colored houses, and the still water of the magnificient lake itself.




I had the great pleasure to meet Marcello again, still wearing his two knitted ties tied together, his “marque de fabrique”, and sporting his most sincere smile, as he always does. 



After a few minutes walking, we were surrounded by alleys and alleys of silks, free to explore through the heart of Italian savoir faire.



When it comes to building a collection, and choosing fabrics, I only trust my hands and my heart. Choosing fabrics is all about feeling them, physically and emotionally. I want them to offer the most beautiful shine, drape and softness, as well as sharing emotions. That is why, when I go through all these fabrics, I know which one should be used. 



I will not reveal the whole choice of fabrics yet, but you will find a very wide variety of weaves and textures this time, with blends of silk, cashmere, wool, making it more sophisticated and delicate.






Dear readers, your new collection will be available soon enough, when the proper autum and winter arrives.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mikhail!
    Nathan here.
    I was searching on the internet for some silk suppliers in Como, Italy, when I found your blog and your website. You do a great job with your bow ties! I`m a young entrepreneur who love ties, and I plan to open my own line of neckties. Can you advise me what is the best supplier for quality silk in Como, where I can buy in small quantities? I dont plan to make a big production yet. :) Any advise and contact of the company will be appreciated! You can contact me via email: nathanaelflorut@yahoo.com. Thank you very much in advance! And I wish you all the best in your business, Mikhail!
    Regards,
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete